Skip to main content

I Don’t like BuJo Community

I try to adhere to what I call “the golden rule of planning”: spend around 1% of the time planning the thing and 99% of the time doing the thing. It takes me up to ten minutes to write a day plan, an hour or so to make a weekly layout and about the same to do a monthly review. Yearly review takes up to three days, maybe four if I’m unlucky.

Since the beginning of 2021 I’ve been using bullet journal for planning. And it’s almost perfect, there is only one think I dislike: the community. Google it and you’ll see the pretty calligraphy on spreads with drawings and colored pens all around the place. This clearly takes more than ten minutes a day.

The bullet journal is supposed to be a tool with two purposes: plan the day, week or month and get anything that comes up into the inbox, you own ideas as well as any deadlines/appointments. I tend to throw some notes about the day in there, too. It is not a sketchbook, cookbook or a colorbook that you see on the internet.

The bullet journal, or any journal, is a tool that is used often. It gets messy. If it doesn’t you are using it wrong. My Leuchtturm1917’s hard cover A6 dotted notebook has 180 pages inside and I usually fit one day on one page, black gel pen, nothing fancy. It’s simple, nasty and sometimes hard to read because of my handwriting. It works.

Comments